Xenon Duel Academy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xenon Duel Academy
Xenon Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shameless' Corner: The Discussion Game -- Round 1

Go down

Shameless' Corner: The Discussion Game -- Round 1 Empty Shameless' Corner: The Discussion Game -- Round 1

Post by Shameless Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:06 pm

Purpose of Game:
1) Develop trust, knowledge, understanding of one's problems and opinions.

2) To teach the general consensus how to properly formulate a civil, and intellectual discussions and disagreements over "touchy" subjects.

Rules of game:
1) Follow the guidelines for posting that will be found below. It's to teach structure in proper conversation where opinions may or may not be the same.

2) Please refrain from posting anything other than what is related to the topic.

3) This is a judge-free zone. All opinions and stories are welcome.

4) Refrain from harassing, undermining, and posting snide comments to anyone and about anyone in this thread. Your post will be deleted and you will be given a warning. No exceptions.

5) There is no right and wrong--only opinions. It's perfectly fine to get passionate about a specific topic, but the moment that passion turns into blind, pig-headed oppression, your posts will be deleted and you will receive a warning. No exceptions.

6) If any scientific "facts" are posted (this includes ongoing scientific studies) to help back up your argument(s), you MUST provide proof. This means website links, PDF documents, and so on.

-------------------------

Discussion Topic: Addiction (Alcohol and Narcotics)

Below is the rubric you MUST use if you wish to post, pertaining to the topic directly above.
Posting Rubric:

Below is the rubric you MUST use if you wish to post a rebuttal against someone's opinion/argument.
Rebuttal Rubric:

Last edited by Shameless on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shameless
Shameless
Tester
Tester

Contribution : 210
Warning : No warning

Back to top Go down

Shameless' Corner: The Discussion Game -- Round 1 Empty Re: Shameless' Corner: The Discussion Game -- Round 1

Post by Shameless Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Does Addiction constitute as an illness or disease? Why?
To me, yes and no. The reason's why I believe such things is because a disease is a medical condition that one is either born with, or obtains through an uncontrolled and unforeseen force of nature.
For example:
- Gaining brain damage due to a car accident
- Being born with HIV/AIDS

Addiction, to drugs and alcohol, is the consequence of a controlled environment. In other words: nothing and no one FORCES you to drink beer, smoke weed, or snort cocaine. You are also not born craving ecstasy and meth.
Addiction is a mental dependency that you do have control over if you have the discipline to do so. Thinking it's a disease or illness forces you to believe that you can't control it.

What do you think is the proper way to deal with and/or cure addiction? Why?
After going to AA meetings, and being around a various slew of alcoholics and drug addicts, the best possible way to learn to to "beat" or "cure" your addiction is to learn the term "Moderation". Granite, this really only applies to alcoholism, but it's true in some aspects.

Narcotics and alcohol (even tobacco) have been around since the dawn of man. If the substance was beyond dangerous, it would've been stamped out of existence with our more primitive ancestors. Also, there are a slew of instances in civil life where moderation actually helps humans live a healthier lifestyle.
Take, for example, all of Europe. Generally, they have alcohol and narcotics (in moderation) with their dinner and/or lunches...nearly every single day. And, on a national average, they're all healthier (and more intelligent) than the average american.

Do you have any experience with Addiction? (optional question)
I do, but nothing I wish to dive deep into. Just know I've beaten my addictions through sheer force of discipline and understanding the meaning of moderation fully.
Shameless
Shameless
Tester
Tester

Contribution : 210
Warning : No warning

Back to top Go down