Xenon Duel Academy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Xenon Duel Academy
Xenon Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duelist Rankings

+7
mouzou
The Yah man
ThunderChidori
Tenystheia
KiNeTiC
chiefzackery
{TP} Simply Logic
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Duelist Rankings - Page 2 Empty Duelist Rankings

Post by {TP} Simply Logic Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Pretty much what the title says. It would be kinda how like we have duel records. But the best would be listed on the right like we have the top posters.

Also how we give out DP for post we should give out additional DP for getting a certain amount of wins.

Speaking of duel records can a mod give me one.
{TP} Simply Logic
{TP} Simply Logic
Banned
Banned

Contribution : 174
Warning : Banned

Back to top Go down

Duelist Rankings - Page 2 Empty Re: Duelist Rankings

Post by Thought Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Sorry, I must've misinterpreted what you were saying.

Don't panic, though, I'm on your side. I'm just saying it'll be a half-and-half situation with wants and don't-wants. ^^
Thought
Thought
Exodia Platinum
Exodia Platinum

Contribution : 1125
Warning : No warning

Back to top Go down

Post by LevitatingManicotti Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:53 pm

FutureOracle wrote:In no way is this post to be offensive, but it may sound a bit harsh.
I'm usually the comic relief character like 90% of the time, but this is just outrageous.
And in no way do I believe that my being transcends yours in pointing out your mistakes.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:Nietzsche's argument is implying that the arrogance is noticeable throughout the website. I see some arrogance, but it's all in fun, not in any demeaning way. It's certainly not noticeable.

You, sir, are the epitome of an arrogant and ignorant person. You justify your own actions by saying arrogance either doesn't exist or it isn't a bad thing.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:There's a reason why newbies are often overlooked. Because most of the time, their ideas have been thought about, already, and turns out that the ideas aren't very good. Someone who's earned their superior status should look at things objectively. 

In truth, some are inferior. Treating them like they are on equal footing is lying to them. Pandering to the weak doesn't make them better. They aren't children. They won't get depressed, they'll get more passionate, or so I hope. That is no excuse to deny recognition to those that earn
it. There's a reason why they're inferior; that's where we come in. You see posts around the site, along the lines of, "I wanna get into the Obelisk dorm!"

Really? Some are inferior? Being objective? They aren't very good? This statement itself is insanely condescending. You try to sound like you're a nice person by acting as the "luminary". Especially the proof about people wanting to get into a higher dorm. That itself is ridiculous. People want to get into a higher dorm to feel that they are "good" at this game ---- to have that "label" for their own self-interest, same as ranking. The ranking itself actually has no meaning if you think about it. Nietzsche always tries to get me tested but honestly there is no point. And if you want me to explain to you how condescending people are just because of their position I can give you ample proof just in ONE duel with another member in this academy.

>People who are superior
WHO ARE YOU. Honestly, I have no idea why you would even say this. Is this the slavery era of the United States? Is this the norm? People are superior to others and should then be able to say others are just "aren't very good"? Woah! I didn't know we took a time machine and traveled back in time.
All kidding aside. Really. Really. If you're so objective how about you judge me because of my ranking and tell me I'm bad. Woah. Must be pro huh? Being absolutely 100% objective is impossible. We're only human. Don't be arrogant and think when we make them feel inferior we are only being objective.
Potentially Bad Word:
Please don't. Don't talk about little/no arrogance and it's all in the fun then go and talk about how they actually suck. That's just...not helping your case. And since you're so superficial/judgmental how about we have a little fun then after this? Only if you disagree with my post of course. You can PM me; then it's my turn to be arrogant.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:They have passion. That's something you won't have (as much) when you don't have a ranking system.

Or. You could just strive to be better in everything you do. How you find a passion? You enjoy the thing you do no matter where you are. Do you honestly think people who volunteer care about some ranking system? No. They don't. They believe they are doing the right thing and have a passion for helping other people out. The jerk who sucks up to people because they want a name for themselves in no way is the same as the considerate person who everyone likes. One does it for the label;the other does it for his passion/submission (source: me <3)

LevitatingManicotti wrote:The assumption that negativity will be apparent throughout the whole site is incorrect. There will be negativity, with or without a ranking system. The ranking system doesn't cause negative activity. If DN didn't have a ranking system, I wouldn't be on as much. I don't think I'm causing negativity from going on the site.
You don't just want to get better, you want to be recognized, or affirmed, by something. Or at least, I, and others, do.

Negativity is always apparent. It is always the status quo. But that doesn't mean we should just ignore it. We can minimize negativity to an extent. No need to enhance it. By just merely stating it exists is the attitude of an ignorant person. (And just for a quick counterexample, I honestly don't care about being recognized or affirmed by anything as small as a label.) If you really want to be recognized there, yeah go wear a name tag saying "RECOGNIZE ME PLEASE, I'M OBELISK!" or by ranking. Sure maybe people want a dorm/ranking, but if there were no dorms/rankings then people would respect others because of their personality and/or skill. Not some silly label. DN's ranking system sure. I'll take it as a valid point, just for you. Because it helps you. I have no way to verify that this is true, but I'll take it. But people in unranked who are high rated and testing usually leave a "only 1000+" or something message because they believe people who are rated lower suck. Similarly, people with low rankings rarely accept people with insanely high rankings because they are portrayed as superior. And you may say, "OF COURSE, that's how it's supposed to be!" But I'm talking about unrated. Rated in fact, has has less to do with rating but much rather win:loss (coming from experience). If you want evidence, I can provide of course. It's not a ranking/dorm that people should respect, but the person themselves. If you think they're inferior based on their ranking, then you may have already made a mistake in assessing them.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:I'm not saying this ranking system is perfect. I would make changes to it, but you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Woah an idiom! No, really. No system can be perfect unless you're in a perfect world. You can't just say, "It's not perfect and neither is the other system, so why not do my system?" You know. Racism can't be solved even if we abolish slavery so let's just keep slavery! Ignorance is truly bliss huh. And still. Throwing a baby out of the bathwater could save the baby. If you didn't throw that hard. There could be a hair dryer falling into the water and doing so would save him/her.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:Sorry if some of the sentences are sorta janky, this was all typed out on mobile.

I appreciate the time you took to try to justify your side of the argument, however much I may have talked negatively about it. I'll try to respond to other things later.

"Disagreement produces debate, but dissent produces dissension."

I'm not saying arrogance doesn't exist. I'm saying some arrogance is justified, and all arrogance isn't negative. I'm sure not saying the problem doesn't exist.

I'm not judging you by your ranking, I'm saying some people do, and to a point, it's justified. That's why we have a method to rank people. If that method is flawed, then we need to fix it, and rank them properly. Then, we can judge. I try to look at ideas objectively. I'm not saying you're not as good as me, as I haven't seen you play. Others do assume such things, though.

Some people are inferior at this game, compared to others. I don't see why you have a problem with me pointing that out.

The point about the volunteer work is a false equivalency. I'm talking about something that you do that is about yourself, not something where the whole point is to help others.

Nietzsche wrote:
LevitatingManicotti wrote:Nietzsche's argument is implying that the arrogance is noticeable throughout the website. I see some arrogance, but it's all in fun, not in any demeaning way. It's certainly not noticeable.

I notice it and am bothered by it, whether or not you have.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:There's a reason why newbies are often overlooked. Because most of the time, their ideas have been thought about, already, and turns out that the ideas aren't very good. Someone who's earned their superior status should look at things objectively. In truth, some are inferior. Treating them like they are on equal footing is lying to them. Pandering to the weak doesn't make them better. They aren't children.

I understand some can lose more often than you. And not treating them as if they are on equal footing is okay, but only if, say, they come to you from a position of "help me I think you're better than me and want you to teach me." But that only justifies helping them as if they needed improvement in any one area that you happen to be good at. Either way, disrespect or saying things like, "I could beat all of you" - which I've seen frequently - is just mean.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:They won't get depressed, they'll get more passionate, or so I hope. That is no excuse to deny recognition to those that earn
it. There's a reason why they're inferior; that's where we come in. You see posts around the site, along the lines of, "I wanna get into the Obelisk dorm!"
They have passion. That's something you won't have (as much) when you don't have a ranking system. 

The "better" players clearly need more recognition! and by that I mean they don't. And they can get it other ways.
Being affirmed by something doesn't have to be from some "official" system - others can think highly of me, and I'll be happy about it.

LevitatingManicotti wrote:The assumption that negativity will be apparent throughout the whole site is incorrect. There will be negativity, with or without a ranking system. The ranking system doesn't cause negative activity. If DN didn't have a ranking system, I wouldn't be on as much. I don't think I'm causing negativity from going on the site.
You don't just want to get better, you want to be recognized, or affirmed, by something. Or at least, I, and others, do.
I'm not saying this ranking system is perfect. I would make changes to it, but you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Sorry if some of the sentences are sorta janky, this was all typed out on mobile.

I'm not saying that negativity is especially unique to the system, but I am saying that the system does foster negativity.
Repeated: Being affirmed by something doesn't have to be from some "official" system - others can think highly of me, and I'll be happy about it.

My sentences are jankier.[/quote]

I haven't seen that kind of behavior here, but to be fair, I haven't been here for that long. I'm not saying that kind of stuff should be tolerated, as it clearly is a dick move, but punish those who do those things, not get rid of the system. The people who do those things don't do it just because of the ranking system, it's because they like doing those sorts of things, anyway. Not all people who are higher up on the rankings are complete jerks about it.

Recognition by other people isn't a for-sure thing. I go on DN to prove that you don't have to be using derp decks to get a high ranking. An official system is much more efficient in judging those things.
LevitatingManicotti
LevitatingManicotti
Slifer Red
Slifer Red

Contribution : 25
Warning : No warning

Back to top Go down

Post by {TP} Simply Logic Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 pm

To stop the duel record mess. i say in the main shop we offer something where they can buy a Duel Record reset for DP.

To be honest i could careless about DP (only thing i really want is a retest, and after that if i could give away my dp to charity i would) the only reason why i do tourneys is to beat people and compare myself to the other duelist.

{TP} Simply Logic
{TP} Simply Logic
Banned
Banned

Contribution : 174
Warning : Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by ! Yeezus Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

What is this?! I don't even...
! Yeezus
! Yeezus